• quick signup
  • quick login



The EU Blue Card Germany enables university graduates (or comparable qualification) from non-EU countries to receive a residence title for the purpose of employment.

The EU Blue Card helps highly-qualified third-country nationals to migrate to Germany permanently. It therefore also helps to make the German labour market more attractive for qualified workers as well as reducing the growing shortage of skilled workers.

Cross-border residence

Within Germany it is possible that the place of residence is different from the place of work. Cross-border employment in Germany with a residence in a neighboring country is only possible with a cross-border commuter card. The German immigration authority issues the cross-border commuter card.


important is the presence of an employment contract or a binding job offer.

Persons already living in Germany under a different residence title and would like to apply for an EU Blue Card can contact their local immigration authority.

Initially you need a national (employment) visa to travel to Germany from a German mission.

Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland and South Korea do not need a visa to travel to Germany, however such visa is recommended as it enables you to (temporary) start working immediately. The blue card permit will then give you the whole array of rights; enabling you to open a bank account, buy property etc.

Recommended: The EU Blue Card Network leaflet on Germany

Federal Office for Migration and Refugees

Return to country index

Secure connection TLS 1.2