• quick signup
  • quick login



If you wish to come to Bulgaria as a highly-qualified worker, you must have a long-term visa (visa Type D) and obtain an EU Blue Card.

You must be a highly-qualified professional within the meaning of the Employment Promotion Act. Meaning that you must be qualified for the exact job you are being hired for, by having a diploma from a university or another institution of higher education, which is valid and accepted in Bulgaria. The educational course leading to the diploma must be at least three years in duration.


Before your arrival, the employer must apply for an the approval for the issuance of an EU Blue Card at the central administration of the Employment Agency. It must be proven that the gross annual salary specified in the contract is at least 16030 euro (2023).

Visa "type D"

Once the approval for an EU Blue Card has been given, you should apply for a visa "type D" at the Bulgarian embassy or consulate in your home country. The visa gives you the right to enter Bulgaria.

Blue Card

Once you have arrived in Bulgaria with your valid visa (in case you need a visa to enter the country), you must also obtain the EU Blue Card itself from the Migration Directorate within seven days.

You may also come to Bulgaria as a highly-qualified worker if you have lived in another EU country for at least 18 months as an EU Blue Card holder. You must apply for a Blue Card in Bulgaria at the Migration Directorate within one month of arrival

Extended information can be found on Europe's Immigration portal - Bulgaria

Return to country index

Secure connection TLS 1.2