• quick signup
  • quick login
Blue Card Network Mobile navigation


EU Blue Card

  • Am I eligible for the EU Blue Card?

    You are eligible when you are a non-EU citizen, and you have completed tertiary education and/or you have three years or more professional experience in the profession related to your profile.

  • Do I need an EU Blue Card to work in the EU?

    Non-EU citizens who want to work in the EU always need a work permit.
    You may not need a visa to enter the EU, but you always need a permit to work.
    Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand do not need a visa to enter Germany the purpose to work.

  • I'm in Europe on a student visa, am I eligible for the EU Blue Card?

    Upon completion of your studies, you may continue your stay in Europe on the EU Blue Card. Many European countries provide possibilities to stay in Europe for a number of months after graduation to orientate on the labour market.

  • Can the EU Blue Card provide permanent residency in the EU?

    The time employed on the EU Blue Card, in various countries or in one, accumulates. After two to five years, depending on the country of residence, you can apply for permanent residency.

  • Can I work in another country as a permanent resident?

    You can work and live in another country for up to two years without losing your permanent residence status, provided you notify immigration services before leaving. Employment in that other country could be on the EU Blue Card permit.

  • Which nationals are excluded from EU Blue Card holdership?

    Citizens of the European Economic Area (European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland). Citizens of overseas countries and territories (OCTs) that have constitutional ties with EU member states, examples of OCTs are Pitcairn Island, Montserrat and Greenland.

  • Which European countries do issue the EU Blue Card?

    The following EU countries issue the EU Blue Card:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
    Ireland and Denmark do note issue the blue card.

  • I live in a country outside of Europe; can I still apply for the EU Blue Card?

    Your current location is not relevant. Applying for the EU Blue Card does not require your physical presence in Europe.

  • Who issues the EU Blue Card?

    The immigration services of the country in which the employment and residence will be taken up.

  • What will my salary be in the EU?

    The EU Blue Card directive proposes that the employer pays the card holder a salary of at least 1.5 times the average gross salary of the respective country. This is a 'rule of thumb'. There is an actual figure for each country, which is indexed yearly. Please contact support for the latest on this.

  • How successful is the EU Blue Card?

    The Blue Card can certainly be considered a success. In Germany approximately 200.000 Blue Cards have been issued from its inception until the end of 2022.

  • Are there any language requirements for the EU Blue Card?

    There are no language requirements defined by EU blue Card law. It may be helpful to be able demonstrate a level of proficiency with a local European language, but it is not an obligation.

  • Can I travel throughout Europe with my EU Blue Card?

    Provided your EU Blue Card is not issued in Romania, Bulgaria or Cyprus, you can use your EU Blue Card to travel throughout the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers most of Europe. Notable exceptions: The United Kingdom and Ireland.

EU Blue Card Network - Candidates

EU Blue Card Network - Employers


Secure connection TLS 1.2