• quick signup
  • quick login



To live and work in Romania as a highly-qualified worker, your employer must first obtain a work authorisation for highly-qualified workers on your behalf. You must hold a university or college diploma from an educational programme that lasted three years or more. Alternatively, you must be able to prove your qualifications by showing relevant professional experience.

You must also obtain a long-stay visa for work purposes from the Romanian consulate.
This is the form, documents that have to accompany the visa application are mentioned in the form.

If you intend to work as a highly-qualified employee in Romania for more than 90 days, you must extend your stay by applying for an EU Blue Card when you arrive. The EU Blue Card serves as a residence- and work permit and is valid for the duration of your work contract plus three months, and for a maximum term of two years and three months.


Your future employer must first apply to the General Inspectorate for Immigration (GII) for a work authorisation for highly-qualified employees. This authorisation will be issued within the quotas fixed by the Government, unless you are exempt from the quota requirement.

You can also apply for a work authorisation for highly-qualified workers if you are a Blue Card holder in another EU country. Your application will be evaluated within 15 days.

Next, the prospective employee is to present the following documents to the GII:

a. your work contract with a salary of at least four times the national average gross wage;
b. a medical certificate proving your ability to work;
c. a valid travel document.

Extended information can be found on Europe's Immigration portal - Romania

Return to country index.

Secure connection TLS 1.2