Blue Card News Archive
- AUG17Information on essential travel to Europe
Highly qualified third-country workers are considered essential and allowed to travel to the EU.
- JUL30Number of issued Blue Card reaches new high in 2019
The positive trend of steadily rising EU Blue Card grants continues, says BAMF Vice President Schumacher.
- JUL15Brexit update
UK citizens to face an increase in mobile charges when traveling to the EU after January 1st 2021.
- JUN29The United States suspends H-1B and L visas until the end of 2020
Temporary suspension of foreign work visas threatens scholarly engagement: Harvard.
- JUN22Blue Card Network announces a significant increase in employer registrations
'Increasingly European employers turn to us to find highly skilled professionals; diversity in teams increases productivity tremendously!'
- JUN08Working on the Blue Card is a route to an EU passport
Learn more about its significance.
- MAY19Europe loosens lockdown as virus cases drop
Dropping case numbers prompt Europe to reopen businesses, social life.
- APR24US President suspends immigration into the United States
European Union to surpass the US as the world’s main migration destination.
- APR20Europe starts to re-open
European countries start to relax their coronavirus restrictions. Gathering of people remains very limited. High caution remains warranted.
- APR02EU Blue Card Network Ambassador Program
As the world is fighting the pandemic, we work harder than ever to strengthen Europe’s economy. We need your help to achieve this.
- MAR16Please read Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public
Rest assure that our Network remains fully available. There is no interruption in the services and support we provide.
- MAR09These European regional job markets are thriving in 2020
Innovative regions with good digital infrastructure and educated workers are thriving. Blue Card Network identifies Kraków, Madrid, Amsterdam and Berlin in particular.
- FEB26The Maltese Blue Card is referred to as the Key Employee Initiative (KEI)
Additional rights granted to start-up entrepreneurs.
- FEB01Brexit. The Blue Card is projected to become available for UK citizens
Join the Network to connect to EU employment and the path to application.
- JAN30Skilled immigrants: an asset to Germany
A shortage of skilled workers and far too few applicants for job openings have become a problem.
- JAN15EU Blue Card Network Ambassador Program
In order to meet the increasing demand from European employers, an incentive program has been launched.
- DEC6Large increase in foreign higher-education students in Portugal
Compared to 2006, Brazilian students enrolled in Portugal have increased by 540%.
- NOV14Due to its demographic profile, Germany needs high-skilled legal migration.
India, with its large young population and extensive higher education establishments, has the potential to fulfil some of its demand.
- OCT25The Juncker Plan has made major impact on EU jobs and growth.
European Investment Bank has increased EU GDP by 0.9% and added 1.1 million jobs compared to the baseline scenario.
- OCT1European Union unemployment at 6.2%
Unemployment rate in the European Union (28 countries) is the lowest since January 2000.
- SEP3Celebrating 10 years of connecting professionals to Blue Card employment in Europe!
The first candidate to register in 2009 was an Indian mining engineer; now a naturalized EU citizen living in Austria.
- AUG19Number of EU Blue Cards issued by EU countries increase with 30% (2017-2018)
Croatia saw highest increase in percentage, Germany in absolute number.
- JUL18Ursula von der Leyen is elected president of the European Commission
Political guidelines for the next European commission 2019-2024; ’A Union that strives for more’.
- JUL9Poland issued more visas to foreign workers than any other European country
Over 680,000 foreigners received legal residency in Poland in 2017 alone.JUN25Germany passes new immigration law
Favourable changes for highly skilled foreign workers, labour market test scraped.JUN5Over 27,000 German EU Blue Cards awarded in 2018.
The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) announces an increase of 25.4% over 2017.MAY7Employment rate of recent EU graduates reaches 82%!
The employment rate of recent graduates in the EU rose from 76% in 2014 to 82% in 2017.APR19Netherlands needs 50,000 foreign workers a year to keep economy running
Foreign workers are sought to make up for shortages in the labour market, according to CBS figures.APR 12Leaders of the European Union have granted the UK a six-month extensionMAR19EU Blue Card Network signs agreement with pan-European employment agency
'Employment in Europe has never been more within reach for non-EU nationals'MAR 15Merit-based immigration to be the new standard in the USAMAR11The European alternative to the U.S. H-1B Visa
Take your talent to Europe!FEB 18Shortage of highly-skilled workers in Europe is growing
Finland, the Netherlands and Sweden are the EU nations most affected.JAN17Brexit update
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, British passport holders will be considered third country nationals by countries within the Schengen area after 29 March 2019.JAN8Frontex: significant decrease in illegal border crossings
Europe’s illegal immigration in 2018 is 92% below the peak of the migratory crisis in 2015.
- DEC 10More and more people come to Germany on the EU Blue CardNOV23Start your business in Europe!
The new start-up permit Netherlands is a huge stepping stone for entrepreneurs.NOV5Irish passport applications from British applicants increase significantly
The number of applications grew from 53,715 in 2015 to 82,274 in 2017.OCT 11Immigrants are feeding Europe’s jobs boom
International workers are helping employment to flourish, and businesses want to keep it that way.SEP24SEP4Germany looks at easing immigration laws to fill skilled labour gaps
The German cabinet will decide on a proposal to make it easier for skilled workers from outside the EU to move to GermanyAUG 16Over 81,000 persons have been awarded a blue card for Germany
The majority of blue card holders choose to stay in Europe permanently.JUL19Belgium to become more attractive for blue card workers
The Flanders region plans to issue blue card for a minimum term of three years. Permanent residency to be available after four years.JUL 3Compared to one year ago, the unemployment rate fell in all EU countries
The largest decreases were registered in Croatia, Cyprus Greece and Portugal.
Increased opportunities for non-EU professionals.JUN 18Unlocking talent: Validation of non-formal and informal learning
The EU blue card is not only for the highly educated. Skilled professionals are appreciated as well.MAY 25EU Blue Card Network complies with GDPR
Your personal data is secure and confidential.MAY 22Commission evaluation confirms the importance of European Works Councils
The European Commission has published an evaluation of the European Works Council Directive.APR 11Professions listed as most in demand, per EU country
There is a labour shortage in all business sectors, in all EU member states.MAR 13Growing lack of skilled workers in Europe
The Netherlands facing a growing gap between demand and supply of skilled workers. 13% of companies are seriously obstructed in their growth.FEB 28MIGRATION: A ROADMAP
Political agreement between the European Parliament and the Council on the "Blue Card" Directive set for June 2018.FEB 7Germany leads the field when it comes to issuing EU blue cards
One in five blue card issued in Germany go to Indian nationals.JAN25JAN 8Commission launches public consultation on a European Labour Authority and a European Social Security Number
The European Commission has launched a public consultation to gather views of the public.